Installing Halcyon isn't complicated - really.
You don't need a database or any unknown dependencies.
Halcyon works on most shared webhosters,often even with free tarifs.
The easiest way to install Halcyon is YunoHost.
YunoHost is a operating system for servers which allows you to install applications using a web frontend without the need for terminal knowledge.
Halcyon is available in the official YunoHost appstore but it's managed by a third party so you may not always get the latest version.
- Upload the Contents of the Halcyon release ZIP (don't use the master branch,please!)
- Edit the file /config/config.ini so that the information fit to your install
- There is a special wiki page dedicated to the media player section HERE
- Edit /config/privacy.txt and /config/terms.txt if you don't like the defaults
- If your countries law requires an imprint,rename /config/imprint.txt.sample to /config/imprint.txt and edit the information in it,links to the imprint will be added automatically when /config/imprint.txt exists
- If you want to add some links to the footer,you can rename /config/footerlinks.txt.sample to footerlinks.txt and add your links in the same syntax as used for the example but please remove the documentation within the file or it won't work
- Make sure that the /data directory has write access from the webserver process (chmod 777 should be fine)
Information: If you run Halcyon on a shared hoster it's very likely that not all of the supported languages work - You can't change that in this situation.
Your own server
- PHP7 recommended but PHP5 works,too
- Any supported webserver software
- Apache -> Just upload and run it - if it doesn't work, add
AllowOverride all to the directory block of your vHost
- Nginx -> Make our example nginx.conf fit your server settings and apply it
- Caddy -> Make our example Caddyfile fit your server settings and apply it
- Lighttpd -> Make our example lighttpd.conf fit your server settings and apply it
Needed PHP extensions
Information: Sometimes you need to install them as packages on your system,sometimes you only need to uncomment some lines in the extensions part of your php.ini,that depends on your distribution.
Enable all locales on your system which are supported by Halcyon by uncommenting them in /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen after that.The needed locales are:
Now do the things from the Shared Hosters part.